Saturday, October 9, 2010

How-To Clean: Makeup Sponge

Hey Chica's,

The part 3, the final installment on makeup brush cleaning!  Excited?....me too!

There is a lot of controversy with makeup sponges as applicators for cream or foundation.  Some people hate them some people love them.  I have a love then hate then love then hate...well you get the idea....relationship with them.  I use them for a few weeks, then all of a sudden I hate the application then go back to a foundation brush, then switch it again.  I can not explain to you why I do this....I just don't know.  But I do know when I love it....I REALLY LOVE IT! hehe.

Anyway, my most favorite (there goes my English) ones to use are from QUO, the shoppers drug mart brand, they are nice and thick, and don't absorb all the makeup into them, it just sits on top, so you don't have to use twice as much product YAH!!!

Anyway totally not a review....get back to how to clean them.  I think it is such a waste to use once then throw away, I just don't get that mentality especially with more then a $1 sponge...a lot more.  I have come up with a way to clean them, so they can last you at LEAST 3 months.  I have had mine longer that, and they are still going!
http://en.item.rakuten.com/drugfrontier/825/
Not that I expect any one to be able to read this, haha. 
But it does show the techniques that I talk about below, visual are always great!

What you need....your face wash...up that right your face wash, water and a paper towel, that is all!

Simply place the sponge under the water to get it wet...then one pump of your facial cleanser and simply rub it in and work it in until the water and soap becomes clear.  This step may have to be done a few times.  The reason you should use your facewash, is it can clean the makeup off your face, so it will clean the makeup off the sponge, as well you know it doesn't irritate your skin, so you shouldn't have any reaction to it.

Once it is clean, don't worry about the staining of the sponge, just because these is still a beige colour on it, doesn't mean it isn't clean.  Then simply place the sponge on a wire rack, or hang it by a clothes pin, so that the airflow can get to all sides of it for an even dry (so no bacteria can form one side).  When it's dry its ready to use again!



So that is my little series on how to clean brushes, if you want more detail, or just more how to clean things posts...email me or comment, and I'll see what I can do.

Caitlin xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment